Saturday, February 25, 2012

Blog #4 make-up (I was absent the day we did this)

Musicians and the concept of “selling out” - MIA’s Superbowl Halftime appearance:
This article is entirely opinion based. I chose this article because I remember seeing a movie called "Slumdog Millionaire" and the main theme song for that movie was called "Paper Planes" by MIA. I really liked this song so I knew that this article sparked my interest because I knew it dealt with MIA and I wanted to see another persons perspective of her because all I know of her is that she has an accent when she speaks English and her song Paper Planes was very popular. This article mentions during the Superbowl halftime show, MIA stuck up her middle finger to the camera. This making MIA seem like she is not someone that young people should look up to but she does represent a sense of authenticity. I can't really summarize the whole article into a short response, but what I can say is that the author seems to have a deep interest in MIA and her motives. It seems as though MIA's intentions and goals can somehow shift the views of people in terms of artistic vision. This article was very interesting to me as I read and got deeper insight on MIA.


Elie Wiesel challenges Mitt Romney’s Church:
I chose this article because Elie Wiesel is the author of a book called Night. I had read this book last year in literature class and it really stunned me to read about a first person perspective of someone who was suffering in the Holocaust. I think it would be very interesting to read about the life of an author of a Nobel Prize winning book. I would want to see if his motives are still the same. As a nobel prize winner for his book, Elie combated intolerance, in this case the posthumous proxy baptism of Jews. Wiesel seems to have taken a rather serious approach to this conflict. He says he objected fervently to this situation and hopes Mitt Romney will do something about it. I agree with Elie in the sense that the Mormon church is really doing something wrong. I personally believe that everyone should respect each other's religions regardless of what they believe in but what the Mormons are doing with their proxy baptism is an insult to every Jew, Christian, Muslim, etc. On a side note, aside from the proxy baptism I never really took into account the religious differences that Mormons have to other types of Christians (Catholics, Presbyterian, etc). I really hope Wiesel gets his voice heard because this is clearly a very serious case. 


One of the many current national “takes” on New York Knicks basketball star-in-the-making, Jeremy Lin:
Jeremy Lin is a true underdog story. Currently, he is the star of the New York Knicks but before that, he was just another wannabe basketball player. Lin graduated from Harvard University with a 3.1 GPA in Economics. It is true that if he failed his basketball career, he would have still probably succeeded in life but playing basketball was Lin's main goal. Lin played basketball for Harvard and even though he was a good player, he was never drafted after his college career. He was picked up by the Golden State Warriors and did not really stand out because his playing was not phenomenal. He was later traded to the New York Knicks where his true potential started to show. He lead the Knicks on an 8 game win streak and scored more points than Kobe in the game vs the Lakers. Lin is the epitome of a genuine underdog. Lin plays with much professionalism and is never hesitant when he is playing on the court. He makes big plays and does not hesitate in accomplishing them. Hopefully Lin can keep up his success because it is always refreshing to hear a story of a person that went from nothing to the next big thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment